- 1 lb. phyllo dough
- 6 ounces blanched almonds
- 6 ounces roasted walnuts
- 6 ounces roasted pistachios
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated blood orange zest
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon Bella Nonnas Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh squeezed blood orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 inch strip of blood orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease the the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan with Blood Orange.
- Pulse the nuts with the sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor until finely chopped.
- Unroll and cut the phyllo sheets in half to fit pan.
- Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work.
- Place two sheets of dough in pan, brush with blood orange olive oil thoroughly.
- Repeat the process until there are 8 sheets layered.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top.
- Top with two sheets of dough, blood orange olive oil, nuts, layering as you go.
- The top layer should be about 6-8 sheets deep.
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- You may cut into four long rows. Bake in the center of the oven for approximately 50 minutes until baklava is golden, crisp.
Make the syrup while baklava is baking.
- In a heavy sauce pan, bring the water, sugar and blood orange juice to a boil.
- Add honey, cinnamon stick and orange peel and simmer for about 20 minutes longer.
Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it and allow to cool.
Cooking Time: 50 min